Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Positive Influences

Voltaire once said, "Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats." That quote perfectly sums up my current state. My life, or curse, is quite the shipwreck, but I'm learning the value of singing in what little lifeboat, or positive influence, I have. Vampirism and positive influence did not seem to go hand-in-glove, thus my excuse for not thinking of this before. In fact, it was GT, the street guy, that brought this to my attention. He has "dealings" with gangs, and he suggested that Hank and I use our powers of persuasion and influence to convince the Tigres to abandon their violent behaviour, or at least curb it. I realise that both Hank and I command attention and are often heard from just about anybody, but I was ashamed that I did not previously consider using at least my influence for positive community service.

One thing about the street, a certain number of lies are necessary. GT and I managed to lie our way into finding out a Tigres flat, then Hank and I followed up with a personal visit. This is one visit in which I was personally grateful I couldn't smell. Our visit, however, was extremely successful. We presented ourselves as an outreach for the betterment of the community. GT wants to use this for political gang purposes, but for whatever motive, it's still a positive influence opportunity with which I'm going to grab and run. I'm excited about continuing this effort.

Hank and I are very excited too because we realised that tag teaming makes people listen and appreciate us even more. We plan to practice tag teaming more often, including at my upcoming party that I'm throwing with Darius' help.

No comments: